Sunday, 6 January 2008

A memorable vacation

Saturday January 5, 2008

Nine months ago, a couple of friends and I went to Cambodia for our annual vacation. We started our exciting journey in Phnom Penh and ended in Siem Reap.

Unlike Kuala Lumpur, the traffic here is not heavy, but it’s crazy. People drive like there are no rules. They ignore traffic lights and the traffic police don’t seem to care.

I never imagined riding a tuk –tuk would be such an adrenaline rush. We’d hang on for dear life as it swerved in and out of traffic. At times, we’d be facing oncoming traffic.

Cars won’t stop for you when you cross the road. Instead they swerve to avoid hitting you. I felt it was like attempting suicide to cross the road.

I realise this is a poor country but I didn’t imagine how poor. I bought a lotus snack and threw it away half-eaten. While looking for a dustbin to throw it away, a group of street urchins grabbed my snack out of my hand.

It made me realise how good it is to live in Malaysia

No comments: