Thursday, 24 April 2008

Tribunal Delays Verdict on Khieu Samphan Appeal

By Heng Reaksmey, VOA Khmer
Original report from Phnom Penh
23 April 2008

Khmer audio aired April 23 (1.30MB) - Download (MP3)
Khmer audio aired April 23 (1.30MB) - Listen (MP3)

The Khmer Rouge tribunal delayed a decision on the pre-trial release of jailed leader Khieu Samphan Wednesday, after warning controversial lawyer Jacques Verges about his behavior, an official said.

Verges is a French lawyer known for his defense of notorious figures, support of anti-colonialist groups and friendship with Pol Pot.

Khieu Samphan, 76, was the nominal head of the Khmer Rouge and faces charges of crimes against humanity and war crimes. He stood as he faced questions from Pre-Trial Chamber judges.

“I have had no job since leaving the jungle,” he said, an apparent reference to his life in Pailin following the collapse of the regime. “I have only my wife, who has struggled to feed me and my family.”

No comments: