Thursday, 6 November 2008

Local artist finds photographic inspiration in abandoned shoes

Photo by: Leah Newman
A single flip-flop takes centre stage in a new exhibition opening at Cafe Living Room this Friday.


The Phnom Penh Post

Written by ANITA SUREWICZ
Thursday, 06 November 2008

A PHOTOGRAPHY exhibition dedicated to shoes by Leah Newman opens at Cafe Living Room at 6pm this Friday.

"On the first day after we moved to Phnom Penh, my son and I took a walk and noticed an abandoned shoe," Newman said.

"We puzzled over it - we had lived and visited so many different countries, but this was the first time we had seen such a sight," she said referring to what inspired her to take photographs of abandoned shoes in Cambodia.

"I began to document shoes as I found them and wherever I found them," the artist said.

She added that she has been shooting single shoes she has found abandoned all over Cambodia for the last two years.

"At first, I wanted to embellish each shoe but I realised they are poignant enough subjects of photography as they are," she said.

"Each piece is a self-contained landscape - the shoe in situ.

"The shoe represented the Cambodian experience," she added. "All the pieces are immediately understandable to anyone living in Cambodia."

The exhibition, which is comprised of 10 untouched photographs printed on stretched canvas, runs until November 29.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need to to thank you for this wonderful read!
! I absolutely enjoyed every bit of it. I've got you bookmarked to check out new things you post…
Check out my web blog seo consultant