Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Being there: Cambodia -- Third-grade host provided unexpected highlight of Cambodia trip

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/
via CAAI News Media

By Sarah Jossart, Special to the Orlando Sentinel
February 21, 2010

Cambodia's temple complex of Angkor Wat is magnificent, especially at sunset.

But the highlight of my trip to Cambodia was a visit to a local school, where I was met by a third-grader.

She took my hand and said in a robotic way, "Hi. My name is Shirley. What is your name?"

Hand in hand, we walked to her classroom. As I sat at her desk, taps on my shoulder made me turn. "Gifts" of pencil drawings were handed to me — treasured souvenirs.

Shirley and her classmates performed songs and dances. I took pictures of the children and showed them the digital images. Seeing themselves created excitement, because personal images are rarely seen.

Shirley and I walked to the library where she "read" alphabet books. Using my teaching techniques, I found she really did know the letters and pictures.

She read a Cambodian-text story to me. I was thrilled to observe her using reading strategies. She checked the picture, reread, sounded out words and pointed when the text became more difficult.

Then she laughed, and I knew she was enjoying the story.

Hand in hand, singing "Old McDonald." "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and the ABC song we walked 15 minutes back to her village.

Shirley picked a flower and put it in my hair. After tea and sweets, we walked hand in hand back to her school.

As I hugged Shirley goodbye, I saw tears in her eyes and then I realized my eyes were full of tears as well.

Sarah Jossart lives in Groveland.

No comments: