Monday, 14 June 2010

Largest ever Redlands Adult School class graduates

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/

via Khmer NZ News Media

By JOY JUEDES, Staff Writer
Posted: 06/13/2010

Edwardo Diaz celebrates after being announced as the recipient of the Jack F. Binkley Scholarship during the Redlands Adult School Commencement at the Redlands Bowl Friday. (ERIC TOM/Redlands Daily Facts)REDLANDS - The largest class in Redlands Adult School history graduated Friday night at the Redlands Bowl, each with obstacles overcome and challenges met.

When Sonnary Sor entered the school in 2003, she did not speak English. On Friday night, she graduated as an English-speaking U.S. citizen.

"I started in the beginner class and kept trying and trying because I really wanted to get my high school diploma," said Sor, a native of Cambodia who lives near the border of Loma Linda and San Bernardino.

She advanced through Redlands Adult's four levels of ESL classes until she tested out and entered the high school diploma program, counselor Danielle Elgan said. She completed all 200 credits and passed the exit exam, became a citizen in 2006 while she was in the citizenship classes, and took computer classes.

"All the teachers were so nice and encouraged me, the principal, everybody," said Sor, who has a 6-year-old daughter and 4-year-old son. She is entering the LVN program at San Bernardino Valley College in August.

"I'm so excited to get my diploma and so thankful to the school giving me this opportunity, and want to tell people who want to reach their goal, they have to try hard and don't give up," she said.

Graduate Tasha Escudero of Redlands wanted her 3-year-old daughter Miyah to see her walk down the aisle.

"I passed the GED this year, it was really important for me to show my daughter I did it even after having a hard time," said Escudero, who attended Redlands and Orangewood high schools.
"I'd been trying to get my diploma and was set to graduate in 2007. I got pregnant and kind of fell behind a little bit but kept trying," she said. "I ended up having a great teacher who helped me understand math."

She graduated Friday with best friend Debbra Yglesias. She wants to attend college to become a social worker.

"She (went) back to school, worked hard, now she's 21 years old and graduating," said mom Diane Escudero.

Principal John Massie said staff talked with students about setting and working toward goals.

"Every student, that's what they did, in not the best circumstances," he said. "Tonight is one of the best reminders."

This year's class of 168 shattered the previous record of 120. Staff worked with less manpower and time to ensure more students graduated, Massie said.

"They held with them to the end," he said.

The Redlands Unified School District Board of Education voted in January to eliminate the district's adult education program in response to statewide funding cuts. In April, Redlands Adult School announced receiving a grant that will keep the school's core programs - ESL and the high school diploma program - open next year.

At Friday night's commencement, four students spoke, thanking family, friends and school staff.

Utumalama Tauave said the class "weathered some challenges over the past year. You've shown yourselves to be strong and hardworking people."

Maria Sandoval said Redlands Adult School "was the one that did not deny me a second chance to achieve my goals staff members would constantly motivate me to continue, and they did this until the last day of school.

"Sleep to me became a privilege instead of a need, because often times I would stay up and struggle through the night to stay focused on my homework," she said. "Every time I faced a challenge I had to push myself to continue. Now that I have gotten here I'm aware that I am capable of accomplishing anything I set my mind to."

Monica Amaya said her biggest inspiration was her son Edward.

"Sometimes when I had to leave early from class I would wait until Danielle (Elgan) would leave the room, and I would sneak out. Because if she saw anyone leave early she would tell us not to come crying to her in June when we did not graduate.

"I am the second in my family to graduate from high school and will be the first to graduate college," she said.

James Braga told those in attendance that "you are worth it, and the effort is more than worth it. Whether you have children, are married, single, or mature in years."

The ceremony included student awards, and scholarships totaling more than $5,000.

San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools Gary Thomas gave the commencement address.

"I've been to a number of graduation ceremonies the past two weeks," he said. "This one is different.

"I have heard some of your stories," he said. "No doubt that for some of you, this diploma means many years of commitment and toil.

"Know this: Success is just beyond your comfort zone. Never quit. Surely this experience has shown you that you can accomplish whatever you set your mind to."

Daily Facts archives contributed to this report.

E-mail Staff Writer Joy Juedes at jjuedes@redlandsdailyfacts.com  

No comments: