Thursday, 2 September 2010

Societies Fail: We Might Have to Get Over It



via Khmer NZ

By Orlando at 09/01/2010
We know that environmental disasters have led to the downfall of civilizations. We know that, in other cases, it is greed and largess that has tipped the scales. Some societies have fallen victim to outside invaders or disease; others simply disappear, leaving no easily-followed clues as to their demise. I suspect those that crumble under their own stupidity are difficult to document, historically speaking.

As I transition from active participant in the U.S. political system to spectator (and absentee voter), I am struck by just how ridiculous the current situation has become; and it makes me wonder: How many other societies have been crushed by idiocy?

Looking around the world today, religion is as powerful a societal driver as ever. Culture wars have gone global. While there are still important domestic skirmishes over abortion rights and gay marriage, they have been largely replaced all-out religious hostility. Christians hate Muslims, and probably Jews. Muslims hate Christians and Jews. Jews might not hate anybody, but the government of Israel sure does make it difficult.

In the midst of all this religious antipathy, in the United States, the economy is still in the tank, Republicans are reaping the mixed blessings of courting voters WAY outside the mainstream; and Democrats have yet to discover an effective—and fortitudinous—way to counter misinformation and downright absurdity.

It’s enough to make a girl cranky.

And though it’s true that looking around the world today it appears that humanity might be doomed, I have to wonder. This past July, I had the great privilege to visit Cambodia. I’d never been anywhere old before. Or, more to the point, I’d never been anywhere that tangible evidence still existed thousands of years after the owners and operators of that tangible evidence died. Around the village of Siem Reap, they left behind awesome physical reminders that an ancient society not only once existed there, but absolutely thrived. Where did the great civilization of Angkor Wat go? I don’t know, just as I don’t know where the residents of Machu Picchu went. And, just as I don’t know where the residents of societies I’ve never even heard of went.

But there is one thing I do know. As civilizations decline, others rise to assume their places. I believe in climate science, so much so that it seems ludicrous to have to include that statement as a caveat. However, I also believe in the resiliency of the human species. And while I’m coming around to the belief that the United States as a great experiment in Democracy is totally and completely fucking doomed, I’m also beginning to believe that ultimately it doesn’t matter. People will continue to band together in new and amazing ways. And as a species, we will, in all probability, continue to thrive.

No comments: